CHRISTOPHER WILLARD PSYD
The Growing Up Mindful Program
Starting January 23, 2023
1:00 pm & 8:00 pm EST
*Earlybird pricing through mid-December
10 week 20+hr Certification for Sharing Mindfulness with Young People
A Comprehensive Mindfulness Training
Motivate Kids to Practice
Join A Community of Changemakers
Take A Strategic Systems View
What is the program?
The Growing Up Mindful program is a 10 week, 20+ Hour hybrid live and pre-recorded course created by Harvard psychologist Dr. Christopher Willard.
Over the course of our time together, we will discover proven practices that can be used by teachers, therapists, parents and others looking for creative ways to share mindfulness with young people. We will explore mindfulness through awareness, movement, games, play, and creative activities for all ages.
Learning differences, cultural differences, developmental differences, and more all affect how childrenand teens learn best, and this course explores ways to adapt mindfulness, rather than approach with a one-size fits all approach.
We will discuss tailoring techniques to a range of issues, including depression, anxiety, executive function challenges, trauma and stress. Different practices will engage different learning styles through arts, sports, games, music, technology and more, for attention spans ranging from 30 seconds to 30 minutes.Register Here
Dr. Christopher Willard (PsyD) is a psychologist and educational consultant based in Boston specializing in mindfulness. He has been practicing meditation for 20 years, and has led hundreds of workshops around the world, with invitations to more than two dozen countries. He currently serves on the board of directors at the Institute for Meditation and Psychotherapy, and is the president of the Mindfulness in Education Network. He has presented at TEDx conferences and his thoughts have appeared in the New York Times, The Washington Post, mindful.org, and elsewhere. He is the author of Child’s Mind (2010) Growing Up Mindful (2016) Raising Resilience (2017) and eight other books for parents, professionals, and children, along with six sets of cards and therapeutic games, available in more than ten languages. He teaches at Harvard Medical School.
On the personal side, he enjoys traveling, hiking, cooking, reading and writing, and being a father.
Each week will cover a different topic, with 4-5 short videos adding up to about an hour each week. You can watch these videos on your own time or with your accountability partner. We will explore weekly reflection questions and practice on our own and with accountability partners during the week.
Each week we will gather live online in a group of about 25 students with Dr. Willard to discuss themes of the week and explore questions to deepen our practice and teaching skills.
Participants will gain a certificate from Dr. Willard by the end of the course attesting to their knowledge and attendance.
Register for The Program
- Learn to build your own mindfulness program for kids or teens
- Discover evidence-based ways to share mindfulness with the kids in your life
- Build the confidence you need to share mindfulness with others.
- Create a community of like-minded, innovative changemakers.
Of Students Will Develop an Anxiety Disorder Related to Stress
4/10 Students with Depression Receive Adequate Treatment
Week by Week Course Themes
Introduction to each other and mindful awareness
- An introduction to child and teen mindfulness
- Setting community guidelines and intentions
Week 1. Defining Mindfulness, Defining Intentions and Science
- Mindfulness and the neuroscience of healthy brain development
- Playful and practical exercises to explore the mind-body connection
- Mind-body meditations to rewire young brains for resilience
Week 2. The Power of Your Own Practice
- Why mindfulness will make you a better and happier therapist, teacher, or parent
- Self-compassion, appreciation, and relaxation exercises to avoid burnout
Week 3. Adapting Mindfulness for All Minds
- Developmentally appropriate adaptation ideas
- The simple science of how mindfulness keeps stress and mental illness at bay
Week 4. The Neurobiology and Research on Mindfulness and Compassion
- Simplifying neuroscience to empower brain and behavior change
- Mindfulness, mental health and learning. The state of the research.
Week 5. Mindful Eating in the Real World
- The state of the research on mindful eating
- Kid friendly formal and informal mindful eating practice
Week 6. Mindful Walking and Movement in the Real World
- Research-based mindful movements
- Developmental adaptations of mindful walking and movement
Week 7. Engaging Kids and Getting Buy-In
- Practical and effective ideas that will generate buy-in from children and teens
- How to make mindfulness fun and accessible even to all kinds of children
- Dealing with resistance
Week 8. Mental Health, Trauma and Equity Perspectives and Considerations
- Accessible analogies to explain what mindfulness is and isn’t
- How to help kids and families slow down, sit still and single-task
Week 9. Creating our Own Practices, Visualizations and Adaptations
- Comfortably adapt mindfulness to all kinds of minds, bodies and backgrounds
- Tips and tricks to build your confidence when teaching mindfulness
Week 10. Toward Creating Mindful Community in Schools, Clinics and Beyond
- Systemic approaches to culture change in schools, clinics and families
- Creating a mindful and compassionate workplace, school, and family
- Teaching with integrity and equity
- A roadmap for creating a mindfulness consulting "business"
- Interviews with mindfulness leaders
All SkillfulMeans Trainings Include Live and Digital Resources
Each of our trainings meet you where you are with your mindfulness practice to help you become a leader in your field and transform your personal relationships.
Included in the program:
Weekly videos covering topics such as the physiology and psychology of meditation, Zen stories and applying meditation to your daily life.
Weekly Live Calls
Get answers to burning questions about your practice and share success and struggles with fellow meditators on weekly calls.
Start creating your supportive community. Get paired with a partner to meet on a weekly basis to practice applying and teaching mindfulness skills and get personal feedback.
* If you are a mindfulness teacher, coach or therapist you will be paired with another person taking the course to share mindfulness with others.
Daily Meditation Recording Prompts
Guided meditation recordings that build in a systematic program to get you steady clear results.
Continue the conversation from our live meetings, access free challenges and resources from world-class meditation teachers and share your personal meditation expereince and questions on our integrated platform.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do You Offer CE's
What is the time commitment?
What happens if I can't make every session?
How long will I have access to the materials?
"Absolutely amazing. The genuineness and curiourity and creativity is admirable. His ability to complicated processes and explain and apply them with ease is awesome. All the small different creative ways to do mindfulness is so helpful. He is also very real and makes you feel like you don’t have be an expert to do this!"
- Mindfulness Workshop Participant.
If you have more questions, schedule a call with Dr. Willard to learn more
In this call you will learn more about the Growing Up Mindful 10 Week Program and better understand how to share mindfulness with kids and teens through:
- Understanding what motivates kids to practice
- A customized comprehensive training
- Being introduced to a community of changemakers with similar challenges and vision
- Learning how to take a strategic view to an inspiring practice